Berrien County Sheriff Substation and Sterling Express
DLZ was retained by the Michigan Department EGLE, under the Level of Effort, discretionary and ISID Contracts for the Berrien County Sheriff’s Substation (BCSS) and Sterling Express, Ltd. (SEL) in Galien, Michigan. DLZ provided professional services for phased remedial investigations, asbestos, and universal waste assessment, feasibility study, specification preparation. Also, provided Trade Contractor procurement assistance, demolition and source removal oversight, verification of soil remediation (VSR) sampling, construction summary report preparation. Further, conducted in-situ remediation and monitoring activities at the Berrien County Sheriff’s Substation. DLZ conducted remedial investigations to assess NAPL and soil and groundwater contamination at the site to effectively target source areas to minimize potential exposure.
- Performed UVOST/LIF screening to delineate NAPL and target locations for sample collection; minimize the number of borings/samples and permanent wells.
- Conducted vapor intrusion assessment and sub-slab vapor pins and exterior soil gas sampling points for monitoring potential vapor intrusion
- Installed monitoring wells to routinely review the effectiveness of remedial measures. Reviewed exposure pathways and targeted remediation to minimize potential exposure.
- Conducted asbestos inspection, prepared bid documents, assisted the State with contractor procurement. Oversaw the contractor during the asbestos abatement and demolition of BCSS building, dewatering, excavation of accessible source area contaminated soils and off-site disposal of soils and groundwater.
- Implementing situ chemical oxidation (ISCO) and vacuum enhanced extraction to target the NAPL/source areas under the building and roadway. Injection compounds include Regenesis PetroCleanze, PersulfOx, and ORC Advanced.