DLZ has been providing locks and dam services for 100 years. We work with private dam owners, state, and local dam safety agencies, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) in the design, evaluation, construction, and inspection of new or existing earthfill, rockfill, and concrete dams, as well as locks and flood control systems. DLZ has extensive experience and a thorough understanding of both the physical and regulatory environments that control dam safety issues.
DLZ’s experienced, in-house personnel bring deep expertise in relevant areas including hydrologic/hydraulic engineering, geotechnical engineering, structural engineering, civil engineering, drilling and laboratory testing, surveying, environmental and ecological services, and landscape architecture. DLZ’s dam safety inspection and condition survey services include visual inspections, including those requiring access by snooper truck, floating plant, or diving; hydrologic/hydraulic modeling; drilling, sampling, and testing; stability, settlement, underseepage, and uplift modeling; seismic studies; instrumentation installation and monitoring; review and analysis of performance; recommendations for remedial repairs and rehabilitation; and reporting to regulatory agencies.
DLZ’s areas of expertise include:
- Hydrologic and hydraulic investigations
- Dam safety studies and operations and maintenance training
- Dam and levee design – rehab and new
- Flood control planning
- Water conservation and supply
- Flood walls
- Shore protection
- Lake management studies
DLZ has partnered with the USACE on a variety of civil and military assignments. DLZ has assisted the Corps in fulfilling its missions in flood control, Great Lakes and inland rivers navigation, ecosystem restoration, and national defense readiness. DLZ has provided investigations and feasibility studies, conducted design activities ranging from conceptual-level planning through preparation of construction bid documents, and has provided construction phase services. DLZ is proud of its water resource client list that includes:
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- U.S. Department of Agriculture-NRCS
- State Department of Natural Resources’ and Environmental Protection Agency’s
- Water conservancy districts
- Water, wastewater, and storm water districts and authorities
Learn more about DLZ’s Dams, Locks and Levee Capabilities.
- Professional Services
- Construction Management Services
- Landscape Architecture & Planning
- Program Management
- Water Resources